Myanmar planned Rohingya attacks: Prince Zeid

New York– UN High Commissioner for Human Rights HRH Prince Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, said Myanmar clearly “planned” violent attacks on its Rohingya Muslim minority, causing a mass-exodus, and warned the crackdown could possibly amount to “genocide”.

The UN rights chief told AFP in an interview Monday that “For us, it was clear… that these operations were organized and planned,” Thousands of Rohingya were killed in the first month of a Myanmar army crackdown on that began in August, and more than 655,000 have fled across the border into Bangladesh.

Prince Zeid said an upsurge in violence last year that had already prompted some 300,000 Rohingya to flee to Bangladesh, and his office has not been granted numerous requests to access the site.

“My suspicion was that the first (smaller) operation was a dry run for the second,” he said.

If the crackdown on the Rohingya was “organised and planned, it wasn’t incidental violence that resulted from a counter insurgency operation,” he said, also pointing out that civilians were clearly targeted.

“Why go after a little child if your actual target is an insurgent?” he asked.

The UN rights chief stressed that it would be up to a court to determine whether or not genocide had occurred, but “we don’t believe you can exclude it and write it off as a possibility.

Source: Jordan News Agency