6,855 Jordanians repatriated since May 5: official
A total of 6,855 Jordanians, who were stranded abroad in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, have been repatriated since May 5th and placed in quarantine at hotels facilities in Amman and the Dead Sea region, said Mazen Farryah, an army brigadier who is leading the COVID-19 crisis management cell.
According to Farryah, who was speaking in a joint press conference with the ministers of health and media affairs, the first and second phases of the repatriation process saw the arrivals of 2,917 and 3,572 Jordanians.
The third phase of the government-managed operation will start on May 28th and will see the repatriation of Jordanians form countries not included in the first and second stages, namely Sudan, Hungary, Algeria and some Arab Gulf states, Farryah added.
He said coordination is underway with foreign airlines that will arrive in the Kingdom to fly foreign nationals back home to repatriate Jordanians onboard their flights.
The army official announced that a total of 2,000 caravans have been set up in the Dead Sea region and will all be used to accommodate arrivals in third phase of the repatriation process, adding that: ” We will take into account the financial capacity of returnees, especially those who cannot afford the costs of hotels accommodation.”
He added that an online platform dedicated to receiving return requests will be reactivated in the next two days, indicating that a flight will be operated on Saturday from Doha to fly back Jordanians.
Faraiah said that the quarantine period for those who arrived in the first phase will end on May 22, and their return to their homes and families will be arranged according to the procedures that were taken previously.
Farryah said “it was too early” to discuss the resumption of travel and the priority now is for the repatriation of Jordanians stranded abroad.
Source: Jordan News Agency